Saturday 7 February 2009

Re-discovering Letter Writing

Even with the wide variety of means of communication open to us; email, text message, twitter. Even with facebook pokes and Blackberries, blog comments, instant messenger and simple straightforward phone calls - there is still something satisfying about writing a good old fashioned letter.

Recently, the evil discretions of a faceless and nameless international corporation have allowed me to re-discover my letter writing glee. After idiotically telling me my mobile phone contract was canceled in August, my nameless foe proceeded to charge me four more months phone charges and then get shirty and send in the debt collection companies when I refused to pay.

I responded with a barrage of written responses. Carefully emboldening my angry words and vengeful threats to report the company to the complaints commission. I systematically worked through their letter responses, picking apart their arguments and formulating intelligent points of note. I am taking joy in fighting my personal battle against the man, a game of cat and mouse - my personal war!

They respond with letters that say simply 'Thats nice. But you still have to pay us', and today sent me an additional bill to add to my collection.

I'll probably end up paying them in the end. Sighs

2 comments:

Arjan said...

hmm well it seems you'll have to execute that threat of complaining about them.

Got some experience in these kind of things too.. company telling me that if I write a letter before a certain date, I'll be no longer a member for the next year ...and after that charging me for the next year and telling me that my membership will be cancelled only áfter this year. I haven't paid them yet..

Anonymous said...

Aha - that is why I keep getting phone calls from Vodaphone for you. They won't believe me when I say that you don't live in my workshop. I didn't pass on your phone number because I thought you wouldn't want me to.