Wednesday 12 March 2008

A Stand Up Guy

I went to a coal conference on Monday. It was all about the future of coal and how it can contribute to a sustainable future. What was interesting about this conference was that I was actually the only person there under 50. It was certainly old school!


What was more interesting was that the conference was attended by a guy that everyone referred to as 'George' and knew by name. I thought they must all be a part of the same old boys club and probably play bridge together or something. As it turns out, old George is a bit of a celebrity - he attends all of the local seminars on renewable energy and such in his suave pin striped suits with his eighty year old head covered by a lengthy white combover - and he shouts down the speakers!

"I have a question" he will enquire politely raising his hand, actually more of a statement.
"There is absolutely and categorically no point in doing all of this, when the whole climate change and CO2 thing is absolute tosh and nonsense" he will shout, raising his voice to unexpectedly high volumes. "and I have the proof" he will claim raising his bits of paper up in the air.

"Hi George" the speaker will reply. "I am afraid that your question is not really relevant to the topic and we don't have the time to debate that kind of thing. Though I am pleased that these debates are still active, and scientists are still being challenged" the speaker will lie.

He went to a solar thermal talk last week and is apparently a regular all over Sydney according to my colleagues. It made me chuckle a little. 

I want to be just like that when I am old. 

2 comments:

Whit said...

Except for the comb over, I assume.

Anonymous said...

Sam hasn't enough hair for a comb over.