Sunday 30 March 2008

Turning on My Head

So as you may know I have spent the as couple of weeks in the UK, to see Lucy and have a brief break from my job here in Sydney. The trip back has thrown up a few surprises, things I wasn't expecting:


Firstly I wasn't expecting to miss the Yorkshire countryside as much as I did. Over a 30 hour trip I went from this:


To this:


(note: photograph is actually Lake District)

I grew up amongst rolling hills and woods, dry stone walls and most importantly buildings over 20 years old. And I wasn't expecting to miss it as much as I did. As a friend of mine (Introducing "The Gambler") said to me: you miss it because its your home. It was blooming cold and it was snowing, but I really enjoyed being back there.

Secondly, its only been a few months but I forgot how much of a good laugh my friends and I have together. You meet people and spend a lot of time together, but its only amongst the friends that you grow up with that you can let your true sense of humour shine and stop constantly editing yourself. I miss that.

The third thing that I realised, is that nothing really changes. as much as I love it at home, I love it out here for different reasons and things at home will always be the same. My friends will always be there (although a little older and more  under the thumb). So I'll be sticking it out here for a few months more (until I have enough of my job) it seems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you take that lake district photo? It's very good.

Not as good as if I'd taken it obviously.

Sam said...

All photos are my own work (apart from the cockroach obviously)

And I dont have any of this fancy dan SLR stuff going on. I rely entirely on subject matter rather than skill.