Thursday 5 March 2009

#4 - Pennine Way Update

We did our first training walk for the Pennine Way a week or so ago. Me and The Nurse, I had a 5 or 6 kilo pack, he had a 10 kilo one. We did about 16 miles and after the walk my legs seized up pretty hard. I was fine by the next day, but apparently The Nurse was walking a little like John Wayne.

The training walk has learned us a few lessons on the art of walking:

  • Undertake training walks in order to avoid being crippled by the second day
  • Wear the same t-shirt and underwear the whole time to avoid carrying too much weight
  • Dont walk at the ridiculous pace the Nurse tried to set off at
  • Dont go to the pub until the end of the walk
  • Try not to walk up hills (this may prove a little difficult)

Being sticklers for punishment, I think we may set out on another one on Saturday.

3 comments:

Dan said...

I never finished a single day of the dales way without my legs seizing up. It's realtively easy to walk it off the next day though, and you are much much fitter than me.

Of course we had no hills and very little in our backpacks.

Arjan said...

nothing wrong with a little self punishment :P

Sam said...

Fitter as in better looking?

Hopefully there wont be too much in the way of self punishment.