Sunday 22 March 2009

Becoming a White Van Man

My list of 40 things to do before I am 40 is increasing at a very slow rate (standing at a weedy 16 at the moment) not because I can't think of things I would like to do, but more because I don't like to over commit.


I am making a little progress on #4 as discussed here and I have grand plans in the next couple of weeks to get my first one ticked off - #5 going to an NHL game. This may seem like a bit of a lame thing to put on the list to colonials. But seeing an NHL game when you live in Europe is quite a challenge! 

I have always had a bit of an affection for Ice Hockey, stemming from my roller-hockey playing youth. But watching my local team (a good as the Sheffield Steelers are) is a little like watching an NHL game slowed down to 2/3rds speed. Not quite the same.

In a week I am flying out to Ontario for work and will try to sneak in a sly visit to the Ottawa Senators if I can. Unfortunately this will be by myself as my work colleague appears more interested in meeting up with the local Morris dancing troupe.

But the one I really want to tackle this year is #6 - converting a mini-bus into a campervan. I have been wanting to do this ever since hearing stories from my friends in Sydney who spent the best part of two years living in a bus in New Zealand.

While not wanting to do anything that extreme, I would love to have a bus for the weekend. To just drive to where I want and grab a quick kip in the back.

Plus I need a new project!

You may have read about the recent troubles of British van maker LDV. I am hoping I may be able to pick an old one of those up pretty cheap. I've got my eye on a nice LDV convoy 400 for around £1200, but my finances wont stretch quite that far yet.


3 comments:

Arjan said...

hmm I do want to see a step by step conversion of it overhere.

Si said...

Hello mate, just searched for LDV convoy conversions - As I am doing one at this very moment! You can check it out on me blog. Good luck with yours, we have some spare insulation material for a good price!

Sam said...

There will definitely be some step-by step stuff going on, but unfortunately finances mean that I wont be needing that insulation until at least August...