Wednesday 17 June 2009

Team Bandicoot Update

Its kind of a little pointless writing this as the majority of my limited readers (limited in number, not in their reading ability) are also readers of my brother's site over at All That Comes With It so will probably be aware of what I am about to write. 


Dan has blown cover and announced that in July of next year we will be taking on a six day hike across the Hadrians Wall in the north of England. The walk, for the Joseph Salmon Trust will commence in Bowness on the West coast and will wind its way along Hadrians Wall taking some quite dramatic scenery and some historical sites along the way.

For the walk we have decided to et up two teams. Mainly because we want to be able to raise as much money as we can for the charity, which means having a large group of participants hassling a lot of non participants. However in terms of group size we are limited by the range of accommodation available along the way. So Dan will go with one group (randomly named Oscelot) from East to West, whilst I try to organise another from West to East to ease the burden on hostels etc. The groups will meet in the middle on the third day for a healthy game of rounders or perhaps a bacon butty or two.

I was actually planning not to tell my group about some of the bunk-houses and inform them that they were going to have to camp, but that has kind of fallen through now, so I am going to have to relent and allow a few walk comforts.

The team name 'Bandicoot' has been inherited for the West to East rabble for reasons unknown to me, though I think I am happy to stick with it as it took us nearly two weeks to come up with a pub quiz name (and the Nurse ended up getting that from the internet) so having a name ready decided will relive a little stress.

So, what now. Oh - we need some walkers! Dan (envying my initial recruitment joy) has already made moves to try to push for 'Oscelot' membership via his extensive readership, and by the looks of his recent comment list is doing pretty ok with it too!

I do have one trump card however. I work in an an environmental consultancy full to the brim with twenty somethings who thought it would be a good idea to do an environmental science degree thinking that this would lead to lots of exciting work outdoors. Then they joined a consultancy and had their hopes buried at their desk in a large pile of Environmental Permit Supporting Documentation and Environmental Management System Procedural Guidance. Hence, frustrated walking / climbing types are in abundance!

I plan that to be my recruiting ground.

For any who haven't seen it, the walk website has been set up by Dan here, and here is a parting picture of Hadrians Wall (as stolen from the internet):



6 comments:

Dan said...

I suspect that Neil and a few thers will come up on that third day too and we'll make a party of it.

the place name is "Once Brewed" so seems as good a place to have a piss up as any. Both teams will have walks of only 10 miles both behind and in front of them too.

Ali said...

Hi Sam
I read about this on Dan's blog and quite liked the idea. Would you have me and Ste in your team? It's only an idea so far yet though, I need to speak to him about it first!

Sam said...

'Once Brewed' sounds like half of a saying.

Ali, you and Steve are more than welcome, I will add you to the list though I dont know if I have your email addresses. I will find them on Facebook.

Arjan said...

'Once brewed' ...it should probably be finished with 'you must drink'.

bon bon said...

i'm going to try to convince my son to join you. although, he changes plans from one week to the next so i can't promise anything on his behalf.

once brewed, twice high?

Dan said...

bon bon - that would be cool. i promise i'll be less reserved/shy and speak to him this time.