Monday 20 July 2009

A Cat Called Beau


Every day when Lucy or I come home from work, we come in the door and Beau is there to greet us. She rolls on her back straight away and demands her belly rubbing (she does this a lot). Lucy picks her up and carries her around the house, I tend to swear at her and tell her to get out of my way.



And every morning, I wake up at a bout 4am to Beau purring like a demented tractor, staring into my eyes from about 1 inch away. She follows us around when we get dressed, she keeps me company when I work from home, and she follows us down the drive when we go out. When we eat you have to throw her off the table / sofa at least 10 times per meal. Lucy is totally in love with her, and I have to admit, despite the early mornings and the inability to hit the cat litter tray, I was too. I have known a lot of cats and have never met a cheekier, friendlier bolshier one.

The only one she follows around more than Lucy is our other cat - Ripley. They are quite the gang, roaming the neighbourhood together. Beau cant be more than 5 metres from Ripley. They sleep in the same basket or at the bottom of the bed together.


Except that our neighbour horrifically backed his car over Beau (as unfortunately witnessed by Ripley) this morning and we are totally gutted.

The heartbreaking thing is watching our other cat roam around the house looking in every corner and walking round in circles looking for Beau and miaowing (and they say cats aren't sentimental). Apparently she was doing this outside all day.


Totally gutted.

9 comments:

Dan said...

Shit. Sorry Sam.

Ali said...

That is horrible! Give Lucy a big hug from me

Kerry said...

That sucks big time. So sorry.

Arjan said...

sad to hear :(

Sam said...

I actually feel pretty sorry for the guy who did it and had to come around and tell us. He brought flowers round today and was in tears. At least he had the guts to own up.

Sam said...

P.s. Ali have you seen the Hadrians Walk site (linked on my blog)? You are on my attending list, I will send an email out soon (I think Lucy has your address) for Team Bandocoot.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Oh my God that's so sad. It's amazing how much of a hole they leave. Hope you're all ok, especially Ripley.

bon bon said...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
~Will Rogers

...of course, the same can be said of all our beloved pets.

Sam said...

Thanks for your comments!

I have forwarded the motion to get a puppy as company for our other cat, but it hasnt gone down too well.