Tuesday 15 September 2009

Depending on the Kindness of Strangers

I always thought that Yorkshiremen were a fairly kindly breed, pretty generous in terms of acts if not with their money. Definitely more kindly than those sour faced Londoners. However, today I was faced with a level of blind generousity I have never seen before.

This week I am back in Ontario Canada for work, stuck in the same old hotel I have seen many time before. The difference between this trip and previous ones is that this time I am determined to make a little more of this opportunity to travel.

I decided to take the weekend out here to go down to Lake Placid (of oversized alligator fame) and do some hiking in what I have been promised is spectacular autumn scenery.

This is all on the back of recommendations made by the guys I am working with over here. You cant beat a good loca recommendation.

Everywhere I have been in the world - when I have spoken to locals about the places to go, eat, and things to see - the experiences have been ten times better. Which is a bit of a problem for me, as I cant usually be bothered to speak with people.

Except this time, I was offered not only advice on where to go, but the lend of a car and a big stack of camping equipment. The guy who I hardly knew was going to lend me his car to take across a national border! I would lend my best mates my car (I barely let Lucy drive it).

Unfortunately I am British and therefore unable to accept hospitality of this nature and have consented only to allow him to book me some rental camping equipment upon arrival.

5 comments:

Dan said...

You were quite right to decline the offer. i hope you gave him an icy stare too.

the impropriety of the man.

Irene said...

Yes really, how inappropriate of him to offer to lend you his camping equipment. How personal can you get?

Arjan said...

I think he would have put in some poison in the car, or cut the breaks so you would drive of a cliff..just for sport, you know how long those half-French guys can keep a grudge ;)

Still amazing though.

bon bon said...

men...

Sam said...

Dan - he asked my why i didnt want the car, but I couldnt come up with an excuse - only that I would feel bad.

TGSW - Exactly.

Arjan - He did say that the chances of it breaking down were high!

Bon Bon - Yes, men - how dare they go around inappropriately offering things to people.