Sunday 27 September 2009

Random Review: District 9

Lacking money or imagination, we went to see District 9 at the cinema last night. I have to say that it was brilliant. I was very surprised, being a Lord of the Rings geek, I had a preconception that Peter Jacksons films were bursting with effects but lacking in story.


The only way I can sum up District 9 is:

The scare factor of 'Alien'
+
The goriness of 'Starship Troopers'
+
The humour of 'Serenity'
+
The style of 'Cloverfield'
+
The political slant of 'Hotel Rwanda' or an anti apartheid film.

All of which are fantastic movies in their own right. I highly recommend it (even Lucy likes it and she only likes Jennifer Aniston flicks).

4 comments:

Irene said...

Coming with those recommendations, I must go see it.

Arjan said...

I think it has its concept against it so I wasn't expecting too much of it. But I'll give it a shot now.

Lucy said...

Excuse me!

My top 5 five films are Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Se7en, Charlie and the chocolate (the original) and Bambi. And none of which include Jennifer Anniston!

Thought District 9 was good, if not a little close to the bone in its concept.

Lucy said...

(That's Charlie and the chocolate FACTORY by the way)