Thursday 16 August 2007

Watt Blogger Template

Wow, made an amazing discovery today! Somebody sent me an email today saying:


"...If Google had a black screen, taking in account the huge number of page views, according to calculations, 750 mega watt hours per year would be saved."

In response Google created a black version of its search engine, called
Blackle, with the exact same functions as the white version, but obviously with lower energy consumption

Naturally I thought this was bollocks. However, as me and my colleague Si happened to have to correct bits of kit lying about (being an energy engineer), and being inquisitive - we decided to give it a go . And guess what? Its right!

Standard google pulled 94 watts of power whereas blackle pulled 74 watts. 20 watt difference (we also learnt it doesnt work for my laptop which with battery removed pulls 49W regardless).

Therefore I am going to start a world wide environmental campaign for dark blogs and a hate campaign against light blogs!

Note: this also means that I am superior to my brother Dan.

7 comments:

April Elizabeth said...

although naturally attracted to the dark blog, i know know that it has a purpose in life. i am glad that i made the right decision. I think i will join your "hate" campaign.

bon bon said...

you know what they say...
once you go black, you never go back.

i'm sure they were refering to blogs.

Sam said...

I thought that was a guinness advertising campaign?

Nevermind, glad I have some support out there already. Perhaps what we need is a campaign for dark blogs blog.

Any more joiners?

Anonymous said...

This blog is going to degenerate into a bloody mess of brotherly infighting, I just know it.

I don't think it matters for a second what colour it is, therefore.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a job?!

Unknown said...

We went ahead and tested Blackle.com with an LCD monitor and found that it actually uses more energy than google.com. Please see the video at: http://cableorganizer.com/electricity-power-meter/

Sam said...

Hi Paul - it looks like the difference with your LCD Monitor is 1 Watt difference (29 to 28) as a pose to the difference in a standard monitor of 20 watts (94-74)in the opposite direction?

The only explaination I can suggest is that an LCD monitor is backlit and therefore when a black screen is shown it is merely blocking out light, whereas with a conventional monitor the blackness is an absence of light (thus there is a reduction with these).

As most people are moving to LCD monitors and laptops, I guess it is marginally preferable to have a light blog. therefore I concede that I am wrong. My clinical trials were perhaps not rigorous enough!

I have no idea really (I just made all that up) - let me know if you know the answer :-)

p.s. I cant see your profile - do you have a blog somewhere?