Saturday 29 December 2007

The Blue Mountains

We went to the Blue Mountains this week, for a little bit of escape from the city and I have to say I was a little disappointed. Walking in the Blue Mountains is something I had been looking forward to for months. It wasn't that the scenery wasn't impressive, because it was, deep ravines, exotic birds everywhere and amazing flora I had never really seen before. the reason I was disappointed was because I never really felt like I had left the city. In fact it felt like the Blue Mountains is an extension of the city. Every walk is covered in carved stone steps, every slight slope has enormous steel railings concreted into the floor to make sure you don't slip. I think there would be national outcry if they did this in the Peak District. I think maybe we'll try to get a little further afield the next time.


The Blue Mountains are strange to me, as you begin your hikes from the top of the hills and work your way down into the ravines. The day was pretty overcast, so none of my photos were particularly spectacular - but here are a couple of the best (with railings edited out):

The Three Sisters:

Ravine on the "Grand Canyon" Trail

No comments: