Friday 21 December 2007

The Kookaburra Laughs

When I was young, I remember listening repeatedly to an old tape of Australian folk songs. I'm not sure whether this was enforced, or whether this was through my own choice. One of the tunes I best remember is the Kookaburra song (my family will hopefully help me with the titles of the other songs which have since escaped my memory), which is a bit of an Australian institution.


The reason I am reminded of this is because this morning, I awoke to the sound of what I believed to be a gaggle of rampaging monkeys, escaped from the nearby Taronga Zoo intent on slaughter. Then I saw this enormous bird perched on our balcony. "Come quick!", I shouted. "I think we have some king of bald eagle perched on our balcony!" After some work on google, the reality (disappointingly) is that we seem to have adopted one of the neighbourhood Laughing Kookaburras. If you click on the link and go to the Kookaburra clip, you will understand the confusion (with the monkeys, not with the eagle - that was just stupidity).

Lucy wants to name the little chap Percy, but I think that Barry is a much more fitting name:

I have to report that we have finally managed to sort out something that resembles a living room, and importantly we managed to achieve all this on a shoestring budget whilst still managing to color co-ordinate the place with my new Mac-book. 

Mr (storm trooper) Potato Head is certainly very happy with the results:


All is going well, Lucy spends her days walking the streets of Mosman looking for nic-nacs while I work my new job (I'm hopefully going to write a big post on this tomorrow).

4 comments:

Yaniv said...

At least it's her days...

Ikea, right?

Dan said...

Botany Bay was one of them I think.

Nice place.

We need to work out a time when we can test if the video chat works so we can link up at christmas.

Oh, and i have bought your christmas present, but not posted it so you won't get it for quite a while. sorry.

I should have perhaps emailed all this banality. sorry.

Anonymous said...

Surely all Australian males are called Bruce.

Sam said...

Ah I Ikea - hell on earth. I'm not sure what she does at night...

Dan - thats ok. I will be getting your present in the January sales.

Disappointingly. No Bruce's yet. But I will rename the Kookaburra.