Monday 22 September 2008

Jaded Rock Stars

An airport is a little bit like a tardis. It doesn't matter how hectic your life is, commuting, working, trying to get all those other daily tasks (such as maintaining basic hygiene) done in between, the moment you get to an airport - everything slows almost to a halt. You queue. You sit. You contemplate. You think about how much you would like to punch one of those smarmy security guards who single you out for a bag search right in the face.

Leeds Bradford Airport is even more like a tardis because it looks like it hasn't been refurbished since 1960. The foam is coming out of the seats, the carpets are worn away to nothing, and the seem to be the only airport left in the world that still makes you take your belt (even though it only contains approximately 1 gram of metal and doesn't set the detector off) and shoes off.

Still, here I am trying to get to Northern Ireland with my plane 3 hours delayed, andI finally have the time (and the internet access) to write a blog post:

You may remember some time ago, me writing this post about the Fun Lovin Criminals playing at the Picturedrome in the tiny little town in which I was brought up?

Well at the weekend, I went to see another band whose albums (or at least one of their albums)were even more overplayed by me than the FLC. At the weekend, I went to see Ocean Colour Scene. If you are an American, you will probably not know who Ocean Colour Scene are. In fact you will probably even baulk at the spelling of 'colour'. But OCS' retro Mod style album Moseley Shoals came out when I was at the beginning of my musical awareness when I was around 15 years old - and I loved it!

I spent many an hour arguing the merits of Ocean Colour Scene's Moseley Shoals (excellent musicians with excellent voices) over Ash's 1977 (could neither sing nor play) - though I loved them both.




What was most impressive about this Ocean Colour Scene gig was how the lead singer managed 4 pints of lager during the relatively short set.

In fact, judging by the colour of his face (i.e. very red), the tiredness in his face, and the dissinterest shown in the set - he had probably indulged in one or two too many pints of lager over the last 10 years or so. I dont know whether anyone else has had the same experience, but seeing rock stars somewhat past their prime can shatter boyhood illusions.

Still, he managed to pull out some golden oldies and the crowd finished off some of their songs for them. And I enjoyed myself.


Mosely Shoals will always remain in my top 5 albums of all time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1977 is much better.