Monday 29 September 2008

On Why I am Slightly Evil

In about August 2003, I was supping a pint of over priced lager in Headingley's Trio Bar. With me was one of my best friends from University who had just got a job offer from a major company on a graduate scheme. We were celebrating her success.

With us was a guy from London who was a good friend of my friend, but whom I had always ever so slightly disliked due to excessive niceness and slimyness. When this friend of mine went away to the bar, I had a conversation with this guy that went a little like this:

Sam: "Its really good news about [insert name here]'s new job isn't it?'
Guy: "Yeah, its alright - doesnt pay that well through" (bear in mind that her starting salary was £10k above the starting salary that I had)
Sam: "What do you mean - think it is pretty good?"
Guy: "Yeah well, I have been temping for the last year, but I am looking for a Job that starts at over £40k"
Sam: "What the hell kind of job starts at £40k?"
Guy: " I am going to be an investment banker"
Sam's mind (note that I did not actually say this out loud, but it could probably be read on my face) "Who the hell is going to give you a £40k starting salary when all you have done for the last year is work in a call centre and get pissed at the weekend? And in addition to that you only have some kind of second class degree from an easy arts course in a middle of the road university you plonker? And in addition to that you are quite obviously a bit of a kn*b!"
What Sam actually said: "Oh good luck with that."

Anyway, it turns out he did get that investment banking job! And when I asked someone how on earth he managed it, they told me: "His Dad knew someone".

So there it is. In this age of equality, meritocracy, whatever you want to call it - 'my mind' was stupid enough to believe that people who earn big bucks and big bonuses (and with this carry big responsibilities) were the cream of the crop. They graduate with first class honours in banking from fancy universities, and work hard for 60 hours per week.

This really annoyed me. That this guy who was obviously a bit (but not excessively) dim, and incredibly greedy (and a bit of a kn*b), walked straight into this job with a nod from his high flying father. Also I was wrong (I hate it when I am wrong).

Replace the 'B' with a 'W' and you will know how much love I have held for 'Investment Bankers', for the last 5 years - based almost entirely and completely irattionally on my experience with this guy and similar types I have met.

Fast forward 5 years and the economy begins to crumble partially due to the greed, lack of foresight and lack of transparency of the dealings of some of the big London banking firms. Today we hear that Bradford and Bingley are the latest bank to require bailing out. All I hear about on thye news are reports of staff laid off in investm
ent arms of major players worldwide.

I dont profess to know much about the economy. I definately don't wish financial hardhip on these money shufflers and their families (though I wouldnt mind if a few of them had to go out and get 'proper' jobs doing 'tangible' things).

But a little bit of me deep down (alright not very deep down), hopes that that little pillock gets sacked and has to work in Asda...

2 comments:

Arjan said...

he deserves to get sacked.

I laughed out loud when someone mocked the Fortis bank today because their line is 'Life is a curve, where are you on that curve' he was wondering where Fortis was on their curve of life :P

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

So we're not the only ones whose banks are falling like dominoes? I wouldn't worry about that guy. He may have gotten the job through nepotism, but whether or not he succeeds in it is a different story.