Tuesday 14 October 2008

What is 'Cool' Anyway?

When I was car free living in Sydney, pedalling my merry way to work everyday in the sunshine, everything was simple, no car, no car tax, no tolls, no insurance, no MOTs, no breakdown cover. It was nice.

However, some small part of me whilst over there was really eager to come back to the UK knowing that I would have to run a car again (as my company contract demands) and I could buy whatever I liked.
At that point my visions of a late 90's Audi convertible were scuppered by the need to have something efficient and reliable. Equally eager hours spent exploring autotrader.com for my dream Alfa Romeo GT left me demoralised by lack of affordability and a bit of a desire not to get into debt in this slightly uncertain period of time we are in.

So, I am lucky as I can opt into my company car scheme and get a new (or nearly new) car without all of the risk of getting a huge loan. I am not complaining.

The company car list, however - since my company was consumed as a minnow, by a goliath of an organisation - has changed somewhat. Hatchbacks, small efficient diesels, and people carriers have been replaced with cars more traditionally viewed as company cars in the UK: Ford Mondeo's, Toyota Avensis', estates (stationwagons) and saloons.


My worry is that I can't help but think that an estate car is going to seriously affect my ability to pull 'bitches' of a weekend (obviously a pastime of which I am particularly fond). They will see me coming and straightaway assume that I am a middle manager or a salesman (which probably, if I thought about it, I am) and will instantly run a mile.

However, I have recently been trying to convince myself that a Ford Mondeo can be cool. That if I am young and hip and I say things like Awesome and Dude - that an estate car will become kind of ironically cool. A statement of my rebellion against the trappings of the modern day rat race. I will become the embodyment of everything that is anti middle class, anti middle of the road salesman.
I can't help but think ... that was what my dad tried to do...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you want to see what real cool is, just look at your elder brother in that Skoda Estate over there.

How does Lucy feel about you pulling the bitches by the way?

Arjan said...

Open your windows, and pomp loud music and they'll never know what car you are actually driving ;)

Anonymous said...

I had a new Mondeo given to me last year by my company, the Titanium X model if you want to be impressed.

Its damn fine and about a hundred light years away from the previous model - its the saloon version and looks way, way cooler than the hatchback or estate.

In my cool opinion anyway.

Sam said...

Dan - yes but they wont let me have a skoda!

Arjan - The only trouble is that all of my music is from the early 90s and shows my age up worse

Jerry Chicken - I am actually thinking of the Mondeo Titanium (not the X) hatchback. But it is huge!