Thursday 23 October 2008

A Fine Chap

This weekend just gone I played host and chef to Lucy's parents and my mum. It was a thoroughly pleasant affair. I once again proved my mastery of the kitchen in the eternal struggle for dominance in the Lucy and Sam cooking stakes (though Lucy will never admit defeat).


Then, a couple of days later, we were happily surprised by a little letter that came through the door. I don't as a rule open my post, as the only people that send posts in the modern world appear to be banks and catalogues - and I don't want to hear from either. But Lucy got there first this time.

The letter was from Lucy's elderly nan. It began:

"Dearest Lucy and Sam, 
I hope you're both ok and fit. Mum [Lucy's mum] said she'd enjoyed her w/e with you both. Also pleased to have seen Sam's mum and what a grand fellow he is to do the cooking for you all, he's a grand chap so helpful and thoughtful just the kind of husband anyone would be proud of, well mum forgot to ask you if you wanted a christmas tree? I have one in the loft with all the trimmings..."

So it looks like a glowing review from the jury I feared. And a free Christmas tree to boot (though I hope it is a fake one as I am not sure how a real one would have fared in the loft for a year).

However I am slightly concerned that Lucy's Nan for some unknown reason thinks that we are married! I am not sure if Lucy or her family have been spreading these allegations around. I wonder what she would think if she found out we are living in sin!

Afterthought: I hope she doesn't know how to use the internet.

2 comments:

Arjan said...

speaking of the 'no return' path haha

Sam said...

I am thinking of leaving a trail of string behind me wherever I go so I can always backtrack.