Thursday 7 May 2009

A Letter to 16 Year Old Sam

I got back from my 6 day Pennine Way trip on Monday. I plan to write a long illustrated blog post all about it, however due to an extreme downpour on Pen-y-ghent (note: that linked picture is the first I have seen of Pen-y-ghent as I couldn't even see it when I was on it!) my camera got soaked and I am still a little afraid of turning it on in case it hasn't dried properly.

So I have chosen another subject - whilst perusing the guardian online, I came accross this article. A letter written by Stephen Fry to his 16 year old self, in response to one that he wrote 35 years ago addressed to his future self.

Whilst Fry has focussed his letter on understanding teenage emotion and past and present attitutes to gay rights. I began to think to myself - at the age of 28 (which I turn next week) what kind of practical offerings of advice would I give to my 16 year old self. I can think of quite a few:

  1. Over the next 10 years or so, you will slowly come to realise that you hate night-clubs. You hate the music, the sweaty people, the freezing queues, the groping and the sticky floors. This will take you a very long time (and a lot of night club entry fees) to find out. Save yourself the hassle (and money) and dont bother going.
  2. In around June 1999, when The City Worker tells you not to dive into the pool with the big sign saying 'no diving' because it is dangerous. Take his advice (as much as you dont want to) as this will save you years of dental hassle.
  3. Your hair looks stupid and greasy. Shave it off! Unfortunatey you will go bald eventually as you had suspected, but shaving it now will mean that less people notice. However, do not bother shaving your face as the last 11 years have taught me that it will only grow back again.
  4. Bet on Greece to win Euro 2004. You will get extremely good odds!
  5. Study something at school / college / university that will actually lead to a job. Yes this means that you will have to get off your arse and go to the school careers centre (which, incidentally - you will not do for the next 10 years) and do a bit of research. But it is onyl half an hour!
  6. On a fateful day in 2002 the Nurse will dare you to down an unknown drinks cocktail in the Courthouse. Do not, I repeat do not drink it. Bad things will happen!
  7. It turns out that playing with metal figurines will not make you popular with the ladies as you had previously thought. I suggest you either abandon your geeky habits or at least keep them to yourself when in open conversation for the near future.
  8. It also turns out that in order to be popular with the ladies, you have to talk to them. I realise that this currently goes against everything you have ever stood for. However I can truly recommend it.

I think that whole 'no regrets' thing is a pile of tosh!

Anyone else want to take up their own list?

2 comments:

Arjan said...

hmm not going to pick up my own list, there'll be too many advices to give (don't do this, do this, don't don't don't don't ..etc).

As for your point #7, I maintain the 'don't ask, don't tell' rule about warhammer. Tell if they ask, but no more than absolutely necessary unless they incessantly incist on it. The other way around I won't ask a girl if she knits woolen cloths, cause it's not in the 'this makes you hot'-list.

Anonymous said...

Its a good one this !

I might do one on my blog and make it look like its my own invention, but at the moment the only thing that I can think of is "you're going to be ok, just go with the flow like you always do".

My life has been one long, "ok, I'll try that", or "yeah thats sounds alright" or "well I'm doing nothing else", so far its all worked out ok.