Sunday 3 January 2010

A Hughes in Afghanistan

I haven't had much time for blogging recently as it has been a pretty hectic Christmas travelling all over the place from Solihull to Holmfirth to Leeds to Sheffield back to Holmfirth and to Sheffield again. Coupled with a couple of trips out and some nightmare new year sales visits to the hellish shopping centre just a small trip from the house. If only I were XXL or XS I would save so much money.

All in all its been a good Christmas I have to say. I have had some excellent climbing sessions and got the opportunity to try out my new crampons in the snow on Mam Tor in the Peak District and went walking with friends and an excellent night out in Sheffield for new year. Maybe Christmas isn't so bad.

One of the things I got from my Dad when I went up to see him was a working DVD (I previously had a faulty one) of 'Pillock Conquors the World', the story of how he travelled on a double decker bus from England to Australia with 9 guys who formed the band 'The Philanderers' when he was younger than I am now. You may have heard me mention it previously.

The footage I find most interesting in the film is the bits where they are traveling parts of the world which would be completely un-crossable in todays political climate. Such as eastern Iran, Afghanistan and the infamous Khyber Pass

At present the Khyber Pass is an area of conflict between the Taliban and the Pakistani Government. The Philanderers drove straight through it in a bright red bus!

This little piece of video shows the passage of the group through Kabul. A prize (consisting of respect) to any non-related person who can identify my dad.

8 comments:

Arjan said...

just awesome. Cool to see that bus drive through such a strange environment.

Dwayne said...

I'm guessing your father is the man in a brown coat who doesn't touch the drum.

Anonymous said...

I agree, the guy in the brown coat.

Dan said...

I think it's the one that looks like a younger version of my Dad.

I really should do a blog post about this too at some point.

Sam said...

Everyone is correct. Its the scruffy hippy in the brown coat!

Anonymous said...

What year would that be ?

Such a good thing that I "lost" those cine films of me in the early 1970s, rather than doing something worthy like driving a bus all around the world my children would be greeted with "Heres your dad getting drunk in a pub whilst waving at the camera, and here he is getting drunk another time in a different pub whilst waving at the camera..."

Pa said...

That film was shot on a 16mm clockwork camera in 1969. The sound track was added after our return by Richard King (The one who looks like Mr. Bean). The reason we were allowed to stay in the British Embassy compound was that we broke down there with a snapped prop shaft which took some time to be mended.

Sam said...

Dad - I am glad you told everyone the actual year - cos to be honest I didnt really know. And I am surprised you can actually fix a broken prop shaft in Kabul?

Jerrychicken - until I started taking an interest in photography, all my photos were of me 'drunk in another pub with my friends'. I used to show my mum my holiday photos an she would go, 'great another set of photos of you with the same people with slightly different backgrounds'.