Sunday 10 January 2010

Snow

This Christmas I got a brand spanking new set of crampons for a mountaineering course I am doing in Scotland in February. Given that we have had an unusually large amount of snow recently, I wanted to go and try them out in the hills and I am glad I did!


The main problem with the idea was actually getting to any kind of hills being as many of the passes in the Peak District are closed at the moment. I managed to make it as far a Ladybower reservoir (with a bit of wheel spinning) and did a few miles over Wym Hill (i jut looked at the map for the most contour lines close together). 

It was pretty cold (I think around -3 deg C). But being as I had all my gear together for the course - it was not too bad.

I took a few pictures too (though they did no kind of justice to the actual views):

DSC01267

DSC01278

I particularly like the sheep which had been burying its face in the snow:

DSC01279

3 comments:

Arjan said...

a sheep putting it's head in the snow..that's what they call it these days..uhu.

just joking :P
Cool photo's.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sam said...

@ Arjan - these days? I have know idea what they used to call it? Perhaps a sheep putting snow on it head :)