Sunday 15 August 2010

Choices

I had a job interview this week. For a job that 12 months ago, I would have really really wanted Its for a great company and for a great position, with loads of resources and my own team to manage...


...trouble is, if I get offered the job, I don't think I will take it.

Its a funny little choice I find myself with, and one which I think has been experienced by many people around my age. Several of my friends, as they have neared the 30 mark, have undertaken a little self reflection and decided that maybe climbing the greasy pole is not for them.

I have one friend who has a very well paid job in one of the major banks at canary wharf and is applying for charity work at a wage less than half of what she is already earning, I have another friend who quit his IT job after 10 years to set up his own business selling betting tips! 

One of my best friends who works in the consultancy sector, providing IT support to financial institutions handed his notice in last week, after 6 years slogging his guts out in a job he hated for a nice fat wage. He is going back to university. His company were so upset that they were talking about legal action as he wanted to leave his job one week before the end of his notice period.

Personally - my work is getting a bit much for me at the moment. I don't seem to see Lucy at all, spending my time traveling up and down the M1, working weekends and being constantly stressed. This has got to change because I am presently a misery to be around. I am not one of those people who can switch off their work life when at home - and I desperately wish I was.

However, the last thing I want to do is jump out of the frying pan, and into the fire. More money, more responsibility, will probably mean more workload and stress in the end.

I find myself secretly hoping that I don't get the new job offer, as if I do I will be faced with one of the largest decisions I have had to make. 

Please don't offer me the job!

As per making my current job more bearable. We are working on a plan...

No comments: