Monday 2 August 2010

Snakes and Ladders

This time we took our friend The City Worker up into the mountains. And instead of climbing rocks we were climbing iron ladders. Great big massive iron ladders, one of which was 50 metres in length.

These are the the kind of ladders which you don't tackle without any equipment for clipping in, for a fall from the ladder itself could be fatal, even not considering the fact that the adder is high up on a rock face.


We began the climb with a steep uphill walk with good views of Lake Garda:

DSC01655
The Nurse and I led the climbs, up ladders with hundreds of rungs which ascended up into the mist, seemingly never ending.

DSC01675
Climb four rungs, clip. Climb four rungs, clip. The guide book said it would take 30 mins to climb one of the ladders alone - and it was right!

The City Worker was the only non climber among us, and he did a pretty good job! He tried to change the subject every time I spoke about how much it would hurt if we fell, and he complained a lot  but to be honest he always complains a lot.

Here he is completing the daddy of all the ladders:

DSC01697

And leaning back on my harness I managed to get a little video of him looking up for the first time:



5 comments:

Dan said...

I've said it before, but you are a bloody idiot.

Dr. Shawn said...

Thats crazy. Made my knees shake...lol

Jeannette said...

Just looking at it makes me feel a bit sick too, although I am quite in awe of people doing this, & as I have said before I hope Evan doesn't inherit the "extreme" hobbie traits of his uncles, although I think it might be too late!

Arjan said...

that just looks awesome.

I think the Chinese guy thinks so to.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site rabbitconfusedwithraisins.blogspot.com
Is this possible?