Monday 24 September 2007

Owt or Nowt?

Someone sent me this link some time ago, but I've only just got round to writing this post. The link is to an article about a degree course that you can take in "Yorkshire"! Apparently it involves the study of brass bands, coal mining and other quirks of gods country.

But to me, being Yorkshire will always mean:

  • Being able to say "Its grim oop north" with pride
  • Being obsessively tight with money claiming "pennies make pounds" (to the extent that I get cross when my girlfriend puts the heating on befor December).
  • Looking down on those unfortunates from "t'wrong side o't pennines"
  • Looking down on those even more unfortunates from "down south".
  • Being able to say "noooo" instead of "no"
  • Not having to waste time pronouncing consonants
  • Using the phrase "when I were a lad" usually followed by "I 'ad to walk fower hours to school and all I 'ad to eat were gravel 'n' dirt" in every second sentence.
  • Drinking real ale (which everyone knows tastes like crap) and saying "ooh I luv a nice pint o best"
  • Playing rugby league at school and not that poncy version.

I could go on for ever! Unfortunately I am at a hotel somewhere in the North East of England and the counter is telling me I only have a couple of minutes left! So I leave you with this link. Though I think it was writtent by someone who has never been there as it goes into great detail about the fantastic A1(M) / M62 moterway junction for some reason! Arrgh 1 min left.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That junction is amazing - it was my part of my workplace for about a year!

Anonymous said...

Ishould like to point out that you are not a proper Yorkshireman as you are the son of a Southerner and an Australian so you can't claim to have Yorkshire in your blood.

Sam said...

Hi Ali. I am sorry for insulting your junction. Photos of our laser adventure to follow.

Dad - I have black sheep in my blood which is as good as Yorkshire.