Monday 3 September 2007

Selling Ice Cream

I went to the cinema this weekend, and just before the film, this commercial was played. Funnily enough, the cinema just happened to sell Ben and Jerry's ice cream!

Now, if you watch to the end you catch a glimpse of the bulk of the advert. I cannot decide in my own mind whether this is the most outrageously dodgy advertising, a marketing masterstroke, or an actually ethical company? I thought I should let readers decide for me.

I know that Ben and Jerrys have a reputation for good business ethics (I studied them as a case study at University). I also know that companies that have gone down the route of marketing themselves on ethical grounds have come incredibly unstuck in the past (such as the Body Shop whose decline has partially been put down to various ethical scandals, as well as sale to L'Oreal). Once you start raving about green credentials you have every Green campaigner on the planet bearing down on you extremely rapidly.

What I would really like to do, is have a quick look around a Ben and Jerrys factory to see what they are actually doing (I have yet to visit a company that can match its claims)...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben and Jerry's were pretty ethical when they first started out. they payed every employee the same regardless if he was a executive or a delivery driver for example.

However they were bought out by a big company a few years ago (can't remember who) and I'm sure that now the ethicalness is as much about branding as it is about morals.

I have a ben and jerry ice cream recipe book somewhere - it tells you how to make your own ice cram (you freeze cream basically). I've made some damn fine ice cream from it (untill i got bored with all the faff of doing it)

Sam said...

They are a part of Unilever. I have no doubt that some see being ethical as a PR exercise, but I take comfort in some large and small companies I know who put large amounts of effort (though perhaps not enough) into mitigating their climate change impact but dont make a song and dance about it.

Anonymous said...

All I know about Ben & Jerry's is that it tastes DAMN good. Not better than NZ ice cream, but of course better than what passes for ice cream on the Queen's Isle.

I know more about Anita Roddick and The Body Shop. I read her autobiography about ten years ago, and found it interesting. But the sale to L'Oreal has to be one of the weirdest moves ever - especially with their history of animal testing! They are just about the worst offender (along with Lever Rexona) and have made almost zero improvements while other companies have progressed. I'm afraid I lost respect for Ms. Roddick after that - just too damn weird.

Sam said...

You need to try some Longley Farm Yorkshire ice cream. Much better than that supermarket crap.

Anonymous said...

Anita Roddick dies

I blame Amelia for her voodoo curse