Tuesday 30 October 2007

Looks like a woman - but with the strength of TWO men???

There I was just walking down the street minding my own business in the resort town of Kuta. Granted it was three in the morning. Granted I had just finished some ridiculous looking fishbowl thing full of some foul liquor. And granted the walls did seem a little wonky and I had to use both hands in order to hold them up in places (to ensure that they didnt fall down).

When out of the blue came a speeding scooter (in that it was going over 10 mph which is pretty fast for Bali) carrying a ladyboy with suspicious intent. The vehicles occupant jumped off the scooter and ran towards me. Now I'm an open minded guy and if given the chance would have politely declined the young ladyboy's advances.

However the person in question proceeded to perform a pretty challenging manouvre which involved simultanmeously trying to grab me where it hurts whilst attempting to remove my wallet from my pocket. Luckily I have seen the same attempt on my friend Paul in Prague and was wise to this game. With some difficulty I managed to prise them (these guys are strong!) off and quicken my step down the street. Unfortunately said person decided to jump back on the scooter and chase me down.

Now this leaves a guy in a pretty serious dilemma. All of my insticts are telling me not to hurt the lady (drilled into me through years of believing it is wrong to be violent towards women). The other side of me is thinking "I'm not a small guy, but the dude in this lady has a blooming vice like grip!"

Only one thing for it. I ran as fast as my little wobbly legs could carry me back to the hostel.

According to the guy who works in reception, the number of huffing and puffing guys who run in in the middle of the night is quite high. And they think it is HILLARIOUS!

Inb the Gillis near Lombok at the moment after a horrendous 12 hour journey. The internet seems a little quicker now so I may be able to post some photos up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Travel top trumps:

Attempt to chew gum in Singapore - 30 points
Get drunk with other travellers - 10 points
Sleep in very dodgy hotel - 40 points
Eat food without really knowing what it is - 20 points
Nearly get mugged - 25 points
Nearly get mugged by a ladyboy - 50 points

Doing well so far!

Anonymous said...

Yeah yeah Sam, he was mugging you. That's why he had his hand on your crotch. And the fact that he had your money in his hand was purely coincidental. There was no sort of exchange of cash for services, none at all.

No, really, I believe you.

Whit said...

I strongly suggest a money-belt and possibly a cup.

Anonymous said...

A scary expaerience. Perhaps you should stay sober. Where was Pete?

Sam said...

Dan - I am denying everything!

I only had the equivalent of around 5 quid on me anyway so it wasnt much of an issue. Money belts are pretty useful though I think that the cup would be more useful in parts of Indonesia.

Looks like I am doing pretty well on the travel top trumps!

Staying sober - Interesting. I may consider this...