Thursday 18 October 2007

A Tale of Three Cities

Singapore is a pretty cool place. Hedged with skyscrapers and enormous glass buildings,

Singapore is certainly the place if you like to shop!

Which I dont unfortunately.

However, there are other sides to Singapore, and if you get away from the main riverside area a few tube stops away is a place called Little India (where the majority of the island's 20% Indian population live). Its an amazingly colourful part of the town, and I elected to stay here for the whole of my Singapore stay. There are small curry houses on every street corner and you can eat here for 4 singapore dollars which is little over a pound (struggling here with a lack of pound signs!)

Another side to Singapore is slightly less glamorous. Singapore is the second largest sea-port in the world (after Rotterdam), and there are cranes abosultely everywhere (it never said in the guide book that it hadnt been finished yet)! Sentosa island is located just off the south coast and pretty much an island of manufactured, man-made beaches designed to be an expensive resort town. And the view is pretty strange to me. Just row upon row of cargo ships and oil tankers (see photo)!

I went to a shopping centre last night with an Egyptian guy that I met this week as he was looking for a Mac - and electronics really are dirt cheap. The one we went to had 6 floors of electronics stores each with around 20 shops (so probably well over 100). I plan to severly annoy my Ipod obsessed brother by buying a 160GB Ipod for 70% of the price he paid for his 30GB one (I dont really want an Ipod, I just think it would be funny).

The whole trip is only tainted by two things: my bank decided to cancel my card as they thought someone may have obtained the detailes fraudulently over the net, and also I cant make outgoing calls on my mobile = lots of stress...

1 comment:

Dan said...

DAMN YOU!!!!!

See how much an iPod touch is for me will you. the 16gb version.