Saturday 10 November 2007

Cheers Bigears

Wow, so its been a while since the last post they will be coming thick and fast from now on...

Next stop Gilli Islands (off the coast of Lombok) for 5 days. As far as I can tell, in between hawking magic mushrooms to local tourists and playing the guitar - the sole occupation of the 700 people on this island is sleeping.

This is also the only place in indonesia where if you say "cheers" to your waiter, you will find yourself recieving the reply "cheers bigears" or "cheers moite" in a London stylee, for somehow, all the inhabitants seem to have learned cockney! They seem also to be very fond of "chicken curry don't worry", which I am not sure I have heard before!

The Gilli islands are one of the few islands who have no police, and you can tell pretty much straight away. I wasn't quite sure if the inhabitants were eating the mushrooms they were trying to sell, but there is definately something in the water!

Anyhow, we did some snorkelling, saw some giant clams and turtles, met some cool people, but most of all - did a lot of this:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure they say "Cheers big ears" to everyone. Because Sam I don't know if you've noticed but you do actually have incredibly large ears.

Anonymous said...

i miss those days in indonesia, i've been in sweden for one day and i'm already sick of it.. it's ice on the streets and it's freezing cold! i want to go back to the sun, even though there weren't so much to do on gili trawangan..
i haven't heard from you yet, so i hope that you and pete didn't fall down mount rinjani when you were hiking.

i really had fun meeting you guys! hopefully i'll meet you in the future. and have a nice time when you get to sidney.

Sam said...

Hi Jessica - you were seking when I was away about my paranoia about my bald head and big ears. As you can see this is mostly caused by bullying from my older brother (Dan).

It was great meeting you, and hopefully we will cross paths again!

Sam said...

Spelling mistake. That was supposed to say "you were asking"

Whit said...

Wow. I just did the search for shits and giggles. It really is third.

I also have big ears and will be bald sooner rather than later.

It works for me.