Thursday 29 November 2007

Random Stuff

I have had a couple of requests to do part 2 of 'When Sam Met Lucy', unfortunately I am finding it difficult to find the time. Blogging is very hard when you have to travel for half an hour to the nearest internet cafe.


Tomorrow I travel from Sydney to Montreal to complete a piece of work for my old company (for one week). When I was sent the work order, it gave my duties as: Day 1, handover and meetings; Days 2-5 observing the furnace.

Basically I will be spending 4 days peering into a furnace at 1500 degrees C. I have a strange job sometimes.

Heat is not my issue at the moment though. My issue is that it will be -15C this weekend in Canada. It is summer here in Sydney, and all I have is my backpacking stuff which I used to travel through Indonesia. This leaves me with a problem. Its mot very easy to buy clothes to withstand -15C when you are in a county at 30C.

As my Dad pointed out the other day, when I land in Montreal, I will have travelled all of the way round the world this year (given that I was in Montreal in June). Pretty cool. Its a shame I hate flying. I have the beauty of actually landing 2 hours before I set off.

Further news. I have somewhere to live. this is the view from my living room:

Unfortunately I now dont have any furniture and/or money. So if anyone wants to donate any of either - let me know.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jealous me - never, but that view is something else and why would you need furniture - you could possibly spend most of your time just standing looking out of the window. After all the stress of finding somewhere to live the wait obviously paid off.

Oli said...

I have a spare armchair here in Scotland...

Where did you say you were at the moment?

Anonymous said...

De-lurking....

Well you will be saved a few degrees - it is actually only going to be -10 C (without windchill). You may want to be more concerned with the possible snow that is coming on Monday...

The jealousy is thick...that view is absolutely wonderful....

Wendy (via-Dan's blog) and a Canadian

Anonymous said...

You lucky swine

Sam said...

I had a photo which I took facing into the living room. If you saw that you certainly wouldn't be jealous.

It was actually -12 but whats a few degrees between friends?

The armchair sounds good. I'll let you have my postal address in Sydney (I am assuming you will pay for postage seeing as I am taking it off your hands?)

bon bon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bon bon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bon bon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sam said...

You may delete your comments, but I still know what they said! So i will reply...

Sydney is expensive, but nowhere near London prices (I think the only place in the same bracket as London is Tokyo). Probably similar to Manchester in the UK (I dont know how that stacks up against the US)

Sam said...

Actualy scrub that. I have just found out from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_cities_for_expatriate_employees

Sydney is nowhere near Manchester. The best wy I can describe is is cheaper than New York, but more expensive than any other US city.

Actually I am quite surprised at the lack of US cities in this poll...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Manchester is full of Lidel's and Iceland's (well, it is seems to be where I live!) so it's surprisingly cheap!