Tuesday 27 November 2007

Table for One Please

Whilst in my old job, I spent quite a lot of time travelling to different places (usually chicken factories in Northern Ireland, or steel foundries in Gateshead). during this time, I became very familiar with dining alone (you gotta eat!). I mention this, as since my arrival in Sydney I have had to do this a couple of times to escape the monotony of sitting in a room with my book, or watching the local, badly tuned in (why are they always like this in hostels/hotels?) television.

I have spoken about this to a few of my friends (and my girlfriend) who are horrified that I do this. They would never even consider going into a pub or a restaurant without someone with them. I even have frineds who won't enter a bar on their own when meeting people, in case they are first. they have to meet outside. 'I always feel sorry for the guys who are eating on their own', is the usual comment.

Dont, is my response. Take one look into the eyes of that guy sat in his suit on his fourth pint of local ale, digging into his Chicken Madras. What you will see is peace.

This is the only time he gets to truly empty his mind, and think about what he wants to think about, such as Steve McLarens tactical mistakes, or whether to get the new iPod touch or not, or whether 50 midgets really would be able to overcome a lion in hand-to-hand combat (a common discussion topic amongst my friends, and one which causes many arguments). Plus he gets to eat what he likes, and drink as much as he wants. The true beauty of it all is that it is usually on company money!

While eating out on my own, I have spent an entire evening in Amsterdam (the only person in the restaurant) talking to the waitress about her children and getting loads of free drinks, I have sampled some enormous steaks in Northern Ireland, and more recently I went on a full night out in Bali on my own (not company paid for might I add), rolling in at 5am, talking with an Australian entrepeneur and leaving after refusing to go on to an after club-club.

But mostly at the moment, I just sit and eat spicy pizza, drink beer and think about Lucy.

So here's to the single diners.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to speak to you on the phone yesterday. Pleased that you now have somewhere to live even if it is yet to be furnished. You won't have to eat alone for long - Lucy will soon be there.

Yaniv said...

I've never been a good single diner. It's harder than you make it out to be.