Monday 28 April 2008

A Terrible Thing

So I was at the climbing wall yesterday, waiting for a friend of mine – lets call him “Mr Pink” (in honour of his pink climbing shoes). He was about an hour late.

The reason for his lateness was pretty unusual and pretty terrible. He had the day off and had been windsurfing at Botany Bay and passed what he thought was a seal in the water about 100m off the shore.

He turned his windsurfer around and went back to have a look. It transpired out that what he thought was a seal was actually a body floating face down, naked from the waist up in the water. He turned again to try to get a closer look, but couldn’t find it again. The police helicopters were called out and found it and hauled it out around an hour later.

Its strange because you always think that somebody is going to be pretty heavily affected by seeing soemthing like that. He was bombarded by questions asking if he was ok with everything.
He seems pretty fine about everything, though he's a pretty strong minded guy.

I wonder if when you see something tragic (like my sister and mum who saw someone decapitated in a car accident on holiday in India), your mind kind of doesn't believe what you see and it becomes kind of like watching real life TV.

There isn’t a lot about it in the papers, but I did find this article.

9 comments:

Whit said...

When I was 12 I was in the desert with two friends and we found a dead body. His hands were tied behind his back and he was nude. He had been there awhile and was bloated and smelled. I'll never forget that smell.

We had a baseball game that afternoon and we all played.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that happened to mum and Megan!

Anonymous said...

I think it is the way you see things. When I’m dealing with bodies/horrific injuries/doing surgery I don’t see it as a person but more like an object or doing a puzzle. You just tend to zone out. I think if I thought about the fact that my hand was in someone’s abdominal cavity too much it might freak me out, so I just don't. I'm good at not thinking....

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

I helped keep a guy alive a few years ago after he rolled his truck and was thrown into the ditch. He was pretty messed up while I was with him and he died a few days later. Normally the sight of blood makes me queasy but in that case I didn't even notice it.

Anonymous said...

My Mum and Dad saw a motor cyclist decapitated when my sister was a baby - she's 71 this year - and my Mum always mentioned this if we ever say a motorcyclist going too fast etc. However, I do believe the brain does have this coping mechanism to detach you from certain things but I guess that would be for Dan to explain - his department after all.

bon bon said...

quite gruesome...
i found a dead bunny in my yard last week!

(sorry. couldn't resist.)

Donna said...

Yikes! I wonder how the guy died...

Anonymous said...

We are pretty good at dealing with nasty stuff I think. It's aftewards when we stop and think that it's not so pleasant.

My toddler began to choke on a grape a few years back and began to turn blue. I suddenly turned into this 'super mum' and did exactly what I was shown to do. He was fine but was a terrible thing to have to do.

I went into shock for a while afterwards when I thought about what could have been.

Sam said...

There you have it I guess that lot of bloggers see out of the ordinary things such as this. I still dont know if they managed to identify the body.