Tuesday 19 August 2008

The Land of the Long White Cloud

In an hour I will be setting off back to the UK. I am currently staying with friends in an apartment overlooking the beach. I contemplated doing a run or taking a walk on the beach in my last hour. But eventually settled on writing my final New Zealand blog post.

I recently learned that when the Maori settled New Zealand, they named it Aotearoa. This can apparently be translated into 'The Land of the Long White Cloud' and its easy to see why they chose this name.

As we were driving back towards Lake Takepo on our second to last day, we experienced the Long white cloud in all of its glory. Coupled with the fresh snow on the ground everywhere, it was majestic:


We took another couple of photos from the road:



Our last night we spent in Lake Takepo which is close to the site where the New Zealand Prime Minister's hiking party recently had to give unsuccessful CPR to one of her close friends in a remote mountain hut. There were film crews everywhere.

In the morning we drove up to the observatory on the hill overlooking the lake:

4 comments:

Arjan said...

even the benches look cool in that last pic.
Now I got to save money and go there..
'old' Zealand (we write it with double e) isn't nearly that beautiful.

Arjan said...

I came across a blog from another Aussie: Sean Bennet

And he posted about carbon neutral blogging..I thought it might interest you. See also: Carban neutral.com

Arjan said...

I said..another Aussie..that is I saw you as an Aussie for the time you lived there :)

Sam said...

Thanks Arjan. I have been away from the Interweb for a while but will be sure to look it up!