Wednesday 5 November 2008

10 Things I Love About Sheffield

A couple of weeks ago I had my first big pang of regret - I regretted leaving Sydney for the first time. 


I was driving home. The rain was horizontal (they have rain in Sydney but it tends to obey the laws of gravity over there). My car windows were in that kind of permanent partially misted up state that you get  (it doesn't matter how high you set your blowers). I thought to myself, the trip home from work in Oz would have been a pleasant bike ride in the sunshine. It hurt.

But on the whole I have really been enjoying being back. And really enjoying Sheffield (more than I imagined I would). 10 things I like about Sheffield?
  • There are 5 separate indoor climbing places within 10 mins of my house (in Sydney there was one within half an hour). Sheffield is pretty much the UK centre of climbing;
  • I can get on my bike and be out in the Peak District national park within 10 minutes (boy did I miss this countryside);
  • I can go out for a run and be in the Peaks in 15 minutes;
  • I can get in my car and be in the Peaks in 2 minutes;
  • Did I mention I like the peaks?
  • I have managed to find a few cool hangouts with live Jazz etc;
  • I can afford to rent a 3 story townhouse set back in a wooded area for less than a 3rd floor flat would be in Sydney;
  • I am learning to lead climb;
  • I am loving the local curry house;
  • There are many excellent country pubs in easy striking distance (something I didn't think I got in Leeds).
On the bad side:
  • The 3 hour round trip to work;
  • After living abroad I have come to realise that english food (which I always defended) is pretty crap.
Thats 10 against 2 I think which makes this an OK move I suppose.

4 comments:

Arjan said...

wouldn't a top 10 be your girl living nearer ;)

Anonymous said...

yes?!

Sam said...

Hmm. There were only 10 things to fit in the list. Maybe I will do a top 20 at some point.

Arjan said...

maybe you should kick one of the peaks out haha