Tuesday 5 February 2008

A Group Portrait

Due to the lack of any real news, I am launching a new regular feature looking at some of the most memorable photos I have taken over the last few years...


Picture the scene ... its Christmas Day and I am just getting out of bed early in the morning to sunshine over the harbour, the glorious Sydney sunshine pouring in through the windows. Lucy is mid-way through her month long visit and a usual is hard to wake up (despite my best attempts). At this point I am missing home somewhat, its the first real Christmas I have spent away from my family and friends and I have woken to an extremely quiet flat.

I switch on my Mac and load up skype to see what is going on and see that my friend The Sergeant Major is online as we had pre-arranged. I called him up and an image popped up on my screen ... a big group of my mates somewhere in Yorkshire, already pretty beered up and on their way out for our annual Christmas Eve celebrations. 

They had projected me onto the wall at the Sergeant Major's house and we proceeded to have the most bizzare long range conversation, including a quick game of round the world flip-flop tennis (I will have to explain the rules to this someday). I was shouting out loud by the end of it, until Lucy politely reminded me that we live in a block of flats with a bunch of OAPs and it was 7am on Christmas Day morning.

This photo is one taken of my computer screen of the larger part of the gang - from left to right: 

The Artist;
The Rock Star; 
The City Worker; 
The Nurse; and 
The Sergeant Major

This photo makes me remember that it doesn't matter where you are in the world, its the people that you keep around you that will make you happy (puke).

This is what you get for writing a post whilst listening to Radiohead!

4 comments:

Arjan said...

now now don't get all emo on your readers ;)
That's probably one of the reasons I don't want to emigrate.

Anonymous said...

I love this picture, in fact I've been meaning to comment on the one in flickr for a while but your brother hardly lets me on here. I can just hear the roar of drunken mates very happy to see their distant pal.

Whit said...

Looks like they were having a good time.

Sam said...

Arjan - Yeah, its pretty tough, but I will probably only be out here for a year or two.

Kerry - I alway wondered whether you were ever allowed on the computer?

Whit - It was the round the world flip-flop tennis. A classic.