Saturday 26 January 2008

Burn Fat Not Oil

I bought a road bike last week. I kept it a little quiet as I was afraid that I would never use it and that it would languish in my flat gathering dust.I'd like to think it was because I wanted to be more green, and wanted to do my bit. But to be quite honest, it wasn't. 


It was mainly because a) I am completely skint after moving country and there is no way that I can afford a car, and b) I was absolutely fed up with missing buses and having to wait for half an hour to get the next one, and was getting really annoyed with the way that the Sydney bus company assumes that nobody has to travel on a Sunday.

It has opened my eyes to quite a few things. Firstly it takes the same amount of time to cycle to work (about 3-4km away) than it is to get the bus because of the inconvenient bus routes, the constant stopping, and the waiting time. Also it can be quicker than driving a car (which don't benefit from the bus lanes) and is certainly cheaper (parking can be $20 per day).

In addition I have discovered that I absolutely love it! In my UK life, I used to spend probably 10 hours a week (sometimes double when working away) in the car, not a lot for some, but too much wasted time for me. Time I could have spent more constructively. Because of this, I grew to hate driving more than anything else. 

Now - I find myself finding any excuse to get on the bike. Even after just two weeks of cycling (and climbing, another recently discovered sport), I feel I am in the best shape I have been in since I ran a half marathon two years ago and the great thing is that it has taken no time out of my day whatsoever. Like the lady who tried to sell me an overpriced bike in my local shop said "Its the future".

If I can cycle in such a bike hating city as Sydney, I think I should be able to do the same back in the UK where we have more bike route (though the weather may counter that theory).

In other news, my recent trip to the hospital with my neighbours is already yielding excellent results. Aside from a box of chocolates I have also benefitted from a free barbeque, and they are going to bring me round leftovers today - result! I reckon they think that I am incapable of looking after myself. I certainly want to encourage that impression.

2 comments:

Arjan said...

I live in a bike friendly city (not when it comes to theft though) and don't mind cycling the 3-4km to the city shopping centre (or university for that matter) at all.
When it's crappy weather...well I always say: you can get as wet in 2 minutes as in 15 minutes.

Yaniv said...

That's excellent. You have a perfect bike-commute distance. I tried it a bit myself, but I live 10 miles from work, which is too far.