Thursday 3 January 2008

WTF!

I was listening to some cheesy hits show in the radio the other day, playing classic tunes of 'yesteryear', when something came on that really shocked me. I can't remember the tune, but it was some kind of heavy baselined inane dance track that immediately sent my mind racing back to my university days ... or was it my college days...


I got images of myself in my head of me -  just the other month ... or maybe a year ago dancing incredibly badly but trying to maintain my cool in some sweaty sticky floored hole of a clubin Leeds .... or was it in Huddersfield trying my luck with everyone that went past. It made me smile.

What didn't make me smile was after the end of the song when the radio DJ announced that what I had been listening to was a track from 10 years ago.... from 1998!  

1998 was 10 years ago! Thats 10 years! I am 10 years older than I was when this track was released!

More than once in 2007 when I occasionally listen to some classic chart show, when some Boomtown Rats (don't really know who they are - don't care) hit from the 80's comes on I would think to myself "why don't they play something modern - something good". Then I would be placated by a track from Oasis' latest album ... is it "Whats the Story Morning Glory"? ... or I think there was maybe one after that ... I'm was never sure.

It has actually only just dawned on me, that I am now completely removed from my decade. My decade has not only gone, it went a long time ago. I have also begun to notice that I don't like anything I hear in the current charts whatsoever (except for Ocean Colour Scene - those guys rule).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the time you are 35 you will start to like classical music.

Whit said...

I got old once. It's overrated.

Anonymous said...

I always wonder what stations like Magic will play when we're old. Instead of the hits from the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc - "here's a little bit of Firestarter for all you oldies listening today" perhaps?

Anonymous said...

What a great web log. I spend hours on the net reading blogs, about tons of various subjects. I have to first of all give praise to whoever created your theme and second of all to you for writing what i can only describe as an fabulous article. I honestly believe there is a skill to writing articles that only very few posses and honestly you got it. The combining of demonstrative and upper-class content is by all odds super rare with the astronomic amount of blogs on the cyberspace.