Saturday 10 May 2008

ETL (Estimated Time Until Lucy) - 28 Days

When I last saw Lucy, she was 23 and I was 26. Its my birthday next week and the next time I see her she will be 24 and me 27.


27 years old! 

A few year ago I told myself I was no longer a graduate. I could no longer hang onto the fringes of my student life and live in places like Headlingley and Burley in dodgy student gigs.

Then my friends started settling down and living with their respective girlfriends. Hell two of them even got married and one has a second child on the way!

More recently I have noticed that the graduates at my work have started respecting me - which I didn't anticipate! they do things like ask me questions and listen to my answers. Then they actually do what I tell them to do! As if I know what I am on about!!

I am sitting here, drinking these weird pre-mixed alcoholic drinks that they love in Australia and thinking what have I achieved? Where did all the time go since I finished Uni?

My conclusion seemed to be that I have spent the last 4, no wait 5 years trying to achieve stuff. Some of the things I hoped to achieve a few years ago were; 
  • Earning my age in £. Which  though I have broken this, I would have scrubbed off the list if I knew what I know now;
  • Doing a job that I enjoy and that contributes to something other than myself. I think I do that, I do like my job for the most part;
  • Earning respect as an authority in what I do. Which is something that will hopefully come in time; and
  • Having great people around me including a wonderful girlfriend. I certainly have that
So what to do for the next five year? Set some more targets for achievements? Working for myself at some point could be a new target? 

No, I dont think so.

I think I am done trying to achieve things. the reason the last five years has gone so quickly is because I spent the whole of it looking forwards and judging myself on the results of everything.

I think I will spend the next 5 years just doing things. Not looking forward, looking now. Doing interesting things and trying to slow this whole 'time' thing down. Maybe I should try Oil of Olay?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next five years...

- Marriage
- Kids

:)

Anonymous said...

Blimey Charlie