Sunday 11 January 2009

40 40s

I set up this blog as a means of tracking my move abroad last year. I took the plunge and emmigrated to Sydney well over a year ago now.

Then I emmigrated back again.

Beyond the Australia thing, I started a trend of writing about drunken exploits of my younger years, partly because I think they are funny, and partly because I don't want to forget them.

I tried to become a clever, fancy interneteer by converting my blogger blog to a Wordpress blog, I even enlisted my brother who has considerably more experience than me with Wordpress to help with the transfer. He will, incidentally not get paid for his efforts. I couldn't really be bothered to learn how to work Wordpress.

Following my return in September, the posts have kind of dried up, due to the amount of travelling I have been doing for my job and due to the lack of subjects more interesting than 'what I did at work today' posts.

So, I had been feeling that on this, the 202nd post, the blog had kind of lost its purpose. It was no longer functioning as I had at first intended it to (for example, not once in all this time do I remember posting anything about rabbits, or for that matter raisins).

However this week I have found my salvation! I got talking to one of my clients while over here in Canadia who said to me she may buy a bottle of Don Perignon (apologies for misspelling) at some point in January. I looked at here puzzled, for what reason?

Apparently it is on her 40 things to do before she is 40 list that she had written up with a group of her friends on some drunken night.

40 things to do before you are 40! What a brilliant, if completely cliched and unoriginal idea! Why didn't I steal that from somebody! Surely mine would be the only blog in the entire of the interweb that would contain such a fantastical concept.

Its a new year now. 2009 apparently. And technically I have only spent 2 days at home since the inception of the year, so tehnically I haven't had much time to think about a direction for the year. What a perfect time to think about such a list and create a new direction for the blog!

Why waste my time in trying to correct my character faults with new years resolutions that I won't keep, when I can simply arrange a list of single one-off events which will temporarily enrich my life for shortlived moments!

So I have begun a list on the right hand side of this blog. If I could figure out how to use Wordpress, I would set up a different page - but I really can't be arsed with all that.

4 comments:

Arjan said...

that's quite a list, you'd better get started on some of them.

I think it's not strange that blogs tend to go astray from the original topic. Mine did.

..as for wordpress, the problem is not learning to use wordpress, it's having to leave the blogger one behind..and maybe even want to ship over all the posts..(which I really don't want to do).

Dan said...

've just read numbers one and two. It appears you wish to emulate me, your hero.

A worthy task although to be honest you are probably not up to it.

If you're planning on stayin in B&Bs rather than camping on the penine way, then let me know as I might be tempted to come along. Might.

Sam said...

I think the NHL one may be the only one that gets done anytime soon. Blogger infuriates me so much though. But then I dont really know how to use Blogger either.

Dan - yes. I think number 11 is goung to be 'drink 5000 litres of diet coke'.

We will be carrying tents for the pennine way - doensn't mean to say you cant do one or more days with us though. Its looking like mayday bank holiday.

Dan said...

I might join you for a leg, but you'll probably walk a lot faster than I'd be comfortable with. You doing the who,e thing camping? rather you than me.