Sunday 18 January 2009

No. 4: Two Ways

No. 4 on my 40 thing to do before I am 40 is to walk the Pennine Way, a 268 mile walk from the South Yorkshire Peak District National Park, through the Yorkshire Dales and Northumberland National park - ending across the Scottish border. This spring we are planning on doing the first 5 or 6 days of the trail, which should leave us about  third of the way up.


I have had this in my mind for a while. One of the main draws being that the start of the Way is in Edale - not far from my house. I seem to have roped in The Tank and The Nurse as traveling buddies and a number of other people who want to do one or two days.  The idea is to carry all of our equipment and camp along the way. It will be pretty challenging, but then thats what we are after.

What has complicated matters however, is that I have been invited along with my brother to a similar 4 day jaunt across the Cumbria Way in late May. I am pretty sure I will do both (Dan - take this as a yes) bar injury. It was suggested by Arjan that I add this to my 40 things to do before I am 40, in order that I can tick something off the list - but I think that is a little against the spirit of the thing.

Photo of Black Hill on the Pennine Way: Stolen from the Internet


Coupled with the annual walking trip I will be taking with Lucy's family - this will be a summer of long walks!

2 comments:

Arjan said...

that is one awesome path! It looks like it's been taken from some epic movie.

Hmm like Dan said, this long route is maybe a bit of a better # on your list :)

Sam said...

Its actually a load of Mud and peat on top of Black Hill where they have to pave it or else you sink in never to be seen again.