Friday 16 January 2009

Its Cold in Canada

This afternoon I got off work a little early. The client I was working with persuaded me it would be a good idea to drive north to Ottawa to go and see Parliament Hill being as it is the main (winter) attraction around. I am in a very tourism oriented little town on the edge of lake Ontario so there are a few things to do around here. Unfortunately the fact that it is below -20 outside puts a bit of a spanner in the works when considering taking a little boat out onto the lake.

So I thought it would be a good idea to go and take a few photographs. I was hoping to get there by sunset so that I could get some good light. It was a beautiful day today.

So tonight I drove the hour and a half or so north and pitched straight into Friday night rush hour. Coupled with the fact that I left my map at home and I drive (even more) like a granny when forced onto the wrong side of the road – the one and a half hours took more like 2 and a half hours.

Parliament Hill is actually quite spectacular in the snow and with the setting sun behind it. Illuminated by the red sunset and by artificial lights it would of cut a fine picture … only my camera didn’t work as I forgot to charge the batteries. The image, however is burned in my mind you’ll be glad to know.

I basically had to run around parliament hill, as with the wind chill I was absolutely frozen to my core. I have made four trips for work so far. They have been in February twice, in January and in December. I have never really seen Canada above 0 degrees!

But, I am told that the weather is especially cold here at the moment, even by Canadian standards. Yesterday evening, the temperature hit -30, without wind-chill! The funny thing is that the cold is all that people talk about. They say things like ‘Wow its really cold outside, hey?’. I feel like replying ‘You live in Canada!’.

It’s a little like when I get into work in Leeds and people say to me; ‘I can’t believe how much it’s been raining recently!’. I wonder if nomads on the Sahara desert say ‘Boy its dry out there today isn’t it? I am working up quite a thirst!’ to one another while tucking into their camel steaks.

2 comments:

Arjan said...

I was about to post 'pics or it didn't happen' but reading about the 'forgot to recharge' ..I just couldn't because I've had that same problem :(

Sam said...

Usually I have a spare but not this time...