Monday 30 June 2008

Something that Annoyed me Today

For a year or so now, the airlines have been claiming victimization over climate change. their usual retort is "people have to fly, there is not a lot we can do to be more efficient". I hear the same thing from transport companies I work with all of the time. I can't be arsed to find the reference, but I am pretty sure that bloke from EasyJet is the guy I read about a lot.


I read this in the paper today which annoyed me significantly. Aparently some of the airline companies have decided that in the wake of high fuel prices, they should fly slower (and thus more efficiently), and that this doesn't affect the timeliness of the flights at all. Which begs the question ... why the bloody hell didn't they do it in the first place? It may be a miniscule saving, but to be honest - its pretty damn easy!

Just goes to show that companies wont do anything unless you hit them in the pocket. 

2 comments:

Yaniv said...

The NY Times ran an article a few weeks ago about the various cost-cutting measures the airlines are taking in the wake of the increased jetfuel prices. They're cleaning their engines, carrying less drinking water onboard, buying lighter seats, etc.

Sam said...

Simple things that make business sense when fuel is your primary cost