Thursday 24 July 2008

A Torn Heart

I am sitting here posting at work.

I have a lot on, and clients pestering me about various things I should have sent to them. But I am pretty calm and relaxed. Thinking about going to the gym at lunchtime.

What's keeping me nice and relaxed is the thought that any of the work that I do not manage to finish over the next three weeks immediately becomes somebody elses problem. Sounds harsh I know, but I am really finding it quite hard to motivate myself (this is, of course partially due to the fact that I went to Lowenbrau at The Rocks last night and indulged in 1 litre glasses of beer).

Every time I let someone new know I am leaving and going back to the UK, they say "why do you want to leave Australia?"

I can't say anything to them about the company, so I cite personal reasons.

In truth, personally I am pretty torn and struggle to repel their attempts to persuade me to stay.

I miss friends and family, and the support I get in the UK. I miss the work I was doing over there which I felt was very progressive and innovative.

I have no idea, though if in a years time, I will be regretting the decision, wishing I had spent more time in Sydney, cycling, hiking, climbing, windsurfing etc...

What is certain is that I will miss the people over here. I will miss the banter in the office, I will miss the trips to the beach. Despite work issues, I think I will miss my newfound responsibilities that were somewhat forced upon me.

I dont think I will miss the city though. The city is not for me.

There is no doubt that in a few years time, Lucy and I will get the travelling itch again , and have some more different experiences. Maybe even back in some other part of Australia or New Zealand.

2 comments:

Arjan said...

Can you switch directly to a new job back at home?
Thanks for linking me :) I'll return the favour.

How does the widget with 'last post' work on blogspot? It seems it pics up the date when someone first started writing (the concept) post.

Sam said...

There is a new widget built into blogger that does the last post thing. I am not clever or adept enough to install my own widgets!