Sunday 29 July 2007

If You Aint Gottem, Then You Hit Rock Bottom

I got a phone call late last Saturday afternoon from my mate Alex - "Sam, I've got a spare ticket to see the Fun Lovin' Criminals at the Holmfirth Picturedrome". To which my first question was "What? the Holmfirth Picturedrome in Holmfirth?" and my second question was "Are you sure its the Fun Lovin' Criminals and not the Fun Hating Criminals or the Fun Lovin' Crumbinals or something?"

For those who dont know the Picturedrome, it is a small cinema in the sleepy 6,000 strong town of Holmfirth, well known for being a hangout for underage drinkers and scallies of all varieties. Apparently, the Picturedrome has been hosting all kinds of famous bands (or more accurately formerly famous bands) recently like the Bluetones, The Undertones, and Ocean Colour Scene. The tragedy is, tha plans appear to be underfoot to change the characterful cinema into a Weatherspoons (awful budget chain bar!), to which many locals are objecting (I have even found a large facebook group dedicated to trying to stop this from happening). I do, however find this plea for money from the local entrepeneur-owner rather amusing!

I am considering setting up an appeal of my own entitled "The If Anybody Wants to Give Money to Me, My Postal Address is... Appeal"

So, it looks like the FLC have fallen on hard times. I did a quick google search for their website, but was informed that the one that I found has expired. The gig though, was one of the best I have ever been to, Alex - 5 times FLC concertgoer and lifelong fan stated that it was the best FLC gig he had ever been to, and he even got to meet Huey backstage after the gig (having fought his way through a bevy of eager women)!

So lets hope the Picturedrome stays open!

And finally, for your entertainment - here is a picture of Alex licking Huey. I plan to post more pictures of Alex licking stuff in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you take those photos?

Sam said...

Yes, but it took me about 40 or 50 attemps to get one that wasnt completely blurred!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that would have been a great show! I love my FLC disc. I was sort of surprised they never took off...

Glad you had fun.

Sam said...

It was one of the best. I think one of my old flatmates stole my FLC albums. I couldnt be bothered to buy them again, so I just bought "best of".