Friday 27 July 2007

Mr R.

I have this friend, lets call him Mr R. He used to work as a project engineer for a major international manufacturing company. We worked with him, we thought hey this guy is good, we then poached him off the client and gave him a nice big salary hike.

Mr R then went on a project at another one of our clients (a major retailer) and they took a liking to him and poached him also (bummer). I recently had a chat to him and he has now been poached by yet another major retailer. Way to double your salary in two years!

The energy consultancy game is certainly big business at the moment, with Climate Change being big news every Tom Dick and Harry is pretending to be an energy consultant, and everyone is scrabbling around to get anyone with experience that they can. My boss who sits in front of me (Mr I) and Mrs G who sits behind me claim to get a call from a head hunter at least once a month!!

I meanwhile get nothing. And christ could I do with a pay rise! It matters little at the moment as I am going to Oz, but the flattery certainly would be nice.

In addition, I am seriously wondering whether it is the right time to leave.... I've spent much of the last two years on boring jobs looking at light bulbs and heaters in shops, and just when I am due to leave we win masses of work (in Germany, Canada, and the UK) for huge steel works, foundries, and aerospace companies. Absolute sods law!!

Oh well. I guess climate change will still be here when I get back...

No comments: